View Single Post
04-22-2009, 10:29 AM
Gino 14
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by TBLightningFan View Post
I am just now getting into hockey classes. I am going through this debate on which I should do. I am right handed in all aspects of life. As advised by many at the rink, I picked up a left stick. It makes some sense doing it that way. Plus since I am learning, I figured I should do it the right way. Also, I stop way better with my right side, so that make it easier to shoot left also.

Now for the wrinkle... I have been a bowler for the previous 20 years and you could imagine how much more strength I have on my right side from throwing 16 pounds 50-60 times a night (2-3 times a week). I used to bowl in some tournaments where I had 10-12 matches in a day.

I tried shooting both ways and when I do so on the right, it feels like I have way more power with it. The left I can somewhat see where I have more control (hard to tell), and where situations with only one hand on the stick it would be an advantage.

What is everyones opinion? Should I continue to learn shooting left, or should I switch to the right putting my much, much stronger side lower on the stick?
My opinion, continue to shoot left. You not get your strength but also control from your dominant hand.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote