View Single Post
Old
09-18-2004, 11:33 PM
me2
Callng out the crap

vCash: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon
There is nothing wrong with the competitiveness of the league -- certianly nothing that warrants a salary cap. The reason the league wants a cap is purely economical.

The fact you mention the Rangers goes to my point, which is that money doesn't buy NHL happiness. You need to build a team, cap or no cap. The Red Wings did it in the 90's, as did New Jersey, Colorado and Dallas. Calgary certainly didn't buy their way to the Cup Finals, nor did Anaheim, Carolina, or Buffalo.

However, saying on paper the Rangers should have won 3 - 4 Cups in the past 5 - 6 years is bordering on ridiculous. They should have made the playoffs those years, but the win the Cup 3 - 4 times...

Would Detroit be half the cup chance they are if their total salary was $45m? Would their Dynasty have lasted without money?
Building a cup team is only half the issue, it takes big money to keep that team together and big money to prolong its life (like Detroit with all of its UFA signings and picking up older stars for cheaper trade prices).

How long will Tampa be able to maintain a cup level team if its budget is under $40m or under $45m.