Old
09-19-2004, 01:40 AM
Winger98
powers combined

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceber
The problem, from what I understand, doesn't have to do with hiding anything, the real problem is the NHLPA reps and the owner reps refuse to agree on what excatly makes up hockey-related revenues. The big problem comes in because all these ownership groups don't just run the NHL team, they run the NHL team, an AHL team, the arena, concerts, concessions, etc. The NHLPA wants a broad definition of hockey-related revenues, the Owners want a strict definition. I don't think anyone would need to open up any books to solve the problem, they just need to agree if the 6 bucks I spend on a beer at a game or a concert gets counted as revenue.

That's what I've taken from what I've read, too. The horrible thing is that this should be something that could be sorted out in a day and then had the numbers all re-worked by the end of the week but won't be looked at seriously for another three months. Goodenow and Bettman just seem too intractable in their positions to deal with eachother in any sort of open, honest manner.

I have to think the owners/players would be better off if both Bettman and Goodenow were canned and a group of independent arbitrators could be agreed upon and brought in to sort out the mess.