View Single Post
Old
04-23-2009, 04:50 PM
FlyHigh

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
How can Nabokov be better "obviously", but not by a huge gap?

Couple of nit picks from me:

Biron played better than Turco in 07/08? Do you watch hockey, or compile stats? Did you see what Turco did for his team in the playoffs that year (see: Sharks-Stars, Game 4 for a sampling)? Biron wishes he could play like this guy, and damn it I do too.

I didn't say Price was better, I said even, with upside. Get him out of MTL, see how he does.

Kipper won ten fewer games than Marty played this year. Point being he is probably playing the back end of the season on tired legs. He is better by more than a little bit.

Lehtonen: Biron has a better save percentage and a playoff resume because at least in part because Kari's team sucks.

Halak had the same save percentage as Biron this year. The quality of defensive help they had is debatable. I think its hard to lobby too hard for one over the other.

Mike Smith - 40 games isn't long enough to get an idea of what a guy is capable of? That's half a season as a starter, plus his time in Dallas backing up Turco.

Vokoun yes, Anderson no? It is becoming clearer that you're going off of reputation than observation and analysis. Anderson outplayed Vokoun for decent stretches this year and won a better percentage of his games.

Nitty was our better goalie this year. He earned the starting job, whilst Biron was busy pouring on the suck. He got sick and his team left him on the bench after Biron warmed up, as if Niitty wasn't the better goalie all year to that point.

Jon Quick: no way he is the better goalie right now, or no way he has had the better career? Are you confusing the two? You might be staring at what you ate for breakfast.
My response to all of this is Dan Ellis. Did you know that Dan Ellis had a .924 save percentage in 37 starts last year?

Any goalie can get hot for 40-60 games, Jim Carey won the Vezina one year and never did anything again.

All your stuff about these one-hit wonders isn't valid at all so far. Jon Quick played 40 good games, so he's better than Biron? Same goes for Halak, Nitty, Anderson, and Smith.

There's no way that 40 games is long enough to assess whether a guy is a quality starter.

Biron played 40 games of .909 save percentage in 99-00
72 games of .915 in 01-02
54 games of .908 in 02-03
52 games of .913 in 03-04
62 games of .918 in 07-08
55 games of .915 in 08-09

That's called a track record and a lot of the guys on your list don't have one.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote