View Single Post
Old
04-24-2009, 02:02 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
Biron's recovery might not be great but if he had a team in front of him that could clear the puck using anything less than their absolute utmost effort it wouldn't be as large of an issue. Only the elite goalies don't have to worry about the team playing in front of them and, as we know, the number of those guys is extremely small. Everyone else needs to rely on their defense to help them out.

Surely if you think timely saves don't exist, you can't possibly think one scoring chance is any more legitimate than the next because they play into each other.

The only reason Fleury has outplayed Biron to this point is because he's been caught more out of position. He gives up some of the fattest, grossest rebounds I've seen. He hasn't been able to handle any of Carter's shots all series. (Tonight, they finally made him pay for it.) He's like Buzz Lightyear out there-- he'll call it flying but the Flyers (Woody) realistically call it falling with style.
I think even the most elite goalie worries about who's playing in front of him.

Was Fleury "falling with style" when he stoned the hell out of Carter in Game 2 on that 2-on-1 to get it to OT? Doesn't Carter have one goal this series on a fair amount of shots? I don't know that it is fair to say Fleury "hasn't been able to handle any of Carter's shots all series". Carter's got a cannon, it's to be expected somewhat.

Some saves are more difficult than others, surely. Timely is the wrong word for these saves IMO. Every save is equally important, because if you don't make them, they are all worth the same. Maybe I am wrong and this is just more of the mind games goalies play with themselves to keep on their toes.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote