View Single Post
Old
09-20-2004, 09:59 AM
Puckhead

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chapel113x
I agree. The NHL has been preparing 5 years for this. If anyone is going to crack, its the NHPA I believe.

Another interesting note. John Davidson said on a radio show in Vancouver that he heard from a reliable source that the NHLPA was hoping that 4-5 teams would fold which account for the majority of the losses.
I hate to say it, but it would be much better for the game if there were less teams. Greater talent pool, rid the league of guys who can't really play the game, but will do whatever it takes to remain in the league. That is the problem...There are too many guys in the NHL just hanging on, and they make it difficult for those skill players to do what they do best. I feel bad for those teams who don't make it through this, and even worse for their fans, but I don't see a point in everyone going down with the ship. The league needs fixing and if they lose some lesser franchises for the greater good, then so be it. Keeping them around will only be a drain on those markets who do well, because whatever form of cost certainty they end up with, is going to keep those teams alive, but not give them any serious help on the ice. I don't think there is a point to it. Like former GM turned TV ananlyst, Brian Burke said recently,,,"It's like re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic".