View Single Post
09-20-2004, 03:55 PM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Puckhead
That is very short sighted and childish of you to say.
1 - That's his job, and
2 - are you a hockey fan or not?

If your answer is yes, then check back into the REALTIY MOTEL where most of us choose to spend some time, and look at the mess that this league is in. I understand that the owners created this mess, and I am not saying that the players are wrong for trying to get as much money as they can, but the game should it continue without cost certainty is not going to make it. Selfishly and realistically, I hope there are some teams that are forced out. It will make the product better, which will make it more entertaining for the fans, and that will draw sponsors and new fans to the sport. The way things have been going I don't think this game is drawing any new fans in the States, as evidenced by no major TV deals. Why should the sport suffer for the sake of teams that don't have a hope in hell of making a serious go of it anyway?

Say what you want about Bob McKenzie, but if you are a hockey fan, he speaks the truth and he is very good at what he does. You may not like what he has to say, but that doesn't mean he's wrong.
The problem I have with McKenzie is when he makes these statements that are "for the good of the game" types of things and yet the end result only benefits the owners and not the good of the game at all. He says that the players would likely allow contraction because they don't really care about the lower wage earners. That's probably true. But he needs to examine the owners with the same scrutiny instead of allowing them a free pass. He seems to be saying that even though the owners are at fault for putting the league into financial trouble, the game needs to be fixed so NHLPA get on side and owners, you're entitled to make mistakes.