View Single Post
09-20-2004, 05:10 PM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Puckhead
Well, Buzz Hargrove (President of CAW - Canadian auto workers) is no stranger when it comes to negotiating deals on behalf of his many constituents. When asked his opinion on the labour stoppage in the NHL he said that "If I had to tell the many thousands of people I represents that they would not be working for a year, I would out of a job".

Think about it, it makes a lot of sense! How are you dealing in the best interests of your players Mr. Goodenow if it is in their best interests to play the game and you are basically telling them that they won't for an entire year.
I think the players will lose this one as well. However, I see why they've taken their position. First of all, history has shown that players' unions have fought to the very bitter end to prevent a salary cap from being put in place. The NFL union was broken over that issue. The NBA union only agreed to a salary cap after public opinion turned against them and their own membership became divided. For players who are used to the ever increasing salaries, a salary cap is death, the NHLPA will do anything to stop it from happening.

As for Goodenow, he has every reason to be confident, rightly or wrongly. In his history, he's seen the owners cave into him without fail. He's seen his association and the agents absolutely dominate arbitration, contract negotiations, etc. He has no reason to think the owners won't cave again. He thinks he has all the leverage. I think he's wrong this time, but I can see why he thinks he's right.