View Single Post
Old
04-25-2009, 03:46 PM
hans

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to hans
I want Mike Grier for the Handzus line, and I think we'll be able to get good value on a mid-pairing defenseman if we wait a few weeks. I'm anticipating the UFA market to be similar to baseball's, and thinking we might be able to get an Orlando Hudson type of player because other teams are either up against the cap or going young. A guy like Boynton, Zanon, or even Derek Morris might still be out there in mid-July with no suitors. We don't need a defenseman, so there's no need to overpay for one, but we may have a fairly unique opportunity to get good value in the free agent market for basically the first time ever, so we should consider it seriously. I would prefer to address our scoring needs through trades because I'm not enamored with what's available in the free agent market, but I'd be cool with Mike Knuble. Terry Murray isn't going to suddenly scrap his offense and switch to a five-below-the-hashmarks firestorm. We're still going to be taking 75 point and wide-angle shots per game. The only question is whether we'll have the personnel to clean up the 50 rebounds those shots create. Mike Knuble can't do a whole lot, but he can certainly do that. He's a lock for 20 goals on either scoring line. But I have a feeling that after these playoffs, there might be some more interesting options to trade for.

hans is offline   Reply With Quote