Thread: Speculation: offer sheet
View Single Post
Old
04-25-2009, 06:15 PM
8BostonRocker24

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Some teams have all the cap space in the world and an extremely deep pool of prospects to make up for lost picks. The Phoenix Coyotes, for example, have had six first round draft picks in the last three years(four of which are already NHLers), and are currently hovering right around the cap floor. I think the league's second worst offense could definitely use a potential fourty goal scorer in Phil Kessel, don't you? As a fan, I'd be very happy if I were to learn that we extended him a six year, thirty four million dollar offer sheet for an annual cap hit of five and two thirds million. It's just slightly more than we were paying Olli Jokinen, so clearly we can afford it. I don't think losing two firsts, a second, and a third is really going to destroy our future, either. Especially considering that we have two firsts this year, yet again, possibly giving us eight first rounders in the last four drafts. For a team like Phoenix, assuming there is a new ownership group in place, an offer sheet to a potential star like Kessel actually makes a whole lot of sense, in my opinion.
Ok, you wrote a lot so I will try and handle each point.

1. I see your point about a team like Phoenix (or for that mater LA, Florida, Atlanta)... but here's the thing, each team has nice young talent, are those teams willing to lose their own young talent in 2-4 years?

2. $5.666 million / year might not be enough to get Kessel to sign that offer. If Boston is offering $5.0 million and you have the chance to be on a top-5 team for the length of that contract, why would you throw it away for an extra $0.66 per year?

3. Boston can match an offer sheet of $5.666 / year. If Phoenix is convinced they have-to-have Kessel, they need to go the Vanek rout of 7 years, $50.0 million... That's how teams get RFA players, they have to over pay.
Any reasonable offer sheet will be matched with Boston, and that's assuming Kessel even signs it.

8BostonRocker24 is offline   Reply With Quote