View Single Post
Old
09-20-2004, 08:42 PM
djhn579

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeytown9321
And like I've said, the owners don't have the games interests at heart.
Are you saying that the owners, who have an accumulated loss of ~$1.7B over the past 10 years, yet are still trying to keep their teams alive and playing in the NHL, don't have the games interest at heart? Do the players that are trying to maintain their multi-million dollar incomes have the games interest at heart? (And I know that many owners have actually made a profit over this time, but I'm willing to bet it's the same group of teams losing money the majority of the time).

I'll give the owners the benefit of the doubt since they are the ones that lose money by running an NHL team.

I've got no problem with the owners trying to make their investment more profitable. When a player breaks an arm or leg, the player will heal and will still get paid, but the owner will suffer the financial loss due to the lost production. When a team of good to great players chokes in the first round of the playoffs, the players have still been paid, but the owner will suffer the financial loss because the team doesn't go deeper in the playoffs. If a player decides not to play to the best of his ability for whatever reason, he still gets paid, but the owner will suffer the financial loss due to the lost production. If a player decides to holdout (yes I know he is not obligated, blah, blah, blah...) the player at least in this case loses potential income, but again the owner will suffer the losses due to lost production.

The owner is the only one that will suffer financial loses in most every case, while the player will get paid in almost every case.