Thread: Joffrey Lupul
View Single Post
Old
04-28-2009, 04:07 AM
dawkins121

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candiria92 View Post
Are you certain JVR will be ready to play in the NHL next year, let alone replace Lupul's 25 goals and 50 pints?
Personally I'm not interested in trading Lupul so that JVR can have a chance to come up. In fact if JVR does come up, I'd actually say there's very little chance that he puts up the same kind of numbers that Lupul can.

To me, the problem with Lupul is that he is a huge opportunity cost. At a little over 2 million I can deal with streakiness and doing nothing defensively. 50 points, while not great, is nothing to scoff at and 2-3 million is a perfectly reasonable salary to be playing an ok second line player.

However, once that jumps up to 4.25 million your talking about taking away cap space that can be going to much greater needs. Is JVR going to replicate Lupul's production? I seriously doubt it. Is Lupul going to improve our defense or goaltending if he stays? Hell no. When you look at this team with Richards, Carter, Gagne, Briere, Hartnell, and Giroux with JVR waiting in the wings and hustle guys like Powe and Nodl coming up, it is very apparent that forward is not an area of need. Then you look at our defense past Timonen and Coburn and our goaltending situation and it's full of question marks.

As nice as it is to have a complimentary player like Lupul, there are much bigger needs on this team. Until we can field a third pairing that doesn't give up a scoring chance every time they are on the ice and a goalie that can give us consistency instead of mediocrity interspersed with random hot streaks, I don't think Lupul is a luxury that we can afford.

dawkins121 is offline   Reply With Quote