View Single Post
Old
05-03-2009, 08:34 PM
rydude189

vCash: 500
Street Hockey Drama

I live in Sudbury, Ontario one of the many hockey crazy cities of the North and live in a tightly knit cul-de-sac where we are all look out for one and other, have everyone's backs, ect. Little less than a year ago, an older couple moved in who have no kids. 5 houses down from them is a park complete with sand, slides, and a swing-set which is infiltrated with kids during all four seasons. Completely weird how they picked this house since it is quite evident they dislike kids.

So a few weeks ago, I happened to look outside and this woman is yelling at the kids for playing hockey in the cul-de-sac, something nobody else has ever had a problem with the 5 years I have lived here. I went outside to investigate and the lady, who I've never spoken to before, comes up to me and tells me that a kid hit our garage door with a tennis ball...whoop de dooooo I say. The next day, one of the neighbors goes over to talk with her because she was taking pictures of the kids playing hockey on her phone. They got into a screaming match in-front of everyone, others go in to try and reason with her and just basically tells everyone off.

It's come to the point that she has been taking pictures of the kids playing hockey (which is kinda creepy), called the cops multiple times, a city councilman, and has now filed a by-law application with the city to ban all street hockey. There supposedly is a by-law already in the highway traffic safety act that prohibits street hockey but it is never enforced because it's just silly. The police have been by on multiple occasions now, even the tactical unit for whatever reason, and have basically told us don't worry nobody's getting charged with playing hockey.

And as I was typing this just moments ago, two cruisers came by. Apparently our ward councilor Doug Craig who was here visiting yesterday phoned the police because the kids did not move for him, which according to several eye-witnesses is a lie. My father approached the officers, found out who called the police, asked him whether he played street hockey as a kid and responded yes. My father shook the officers hand and told him to have a nice night.

I was just wondering, what can we be doing to fight back against them? Is there any easy way to raise media awareness of this? We all would love for it to end so that the kids may play hockey without having to worry about the police coming to ruin their harmless fun.

rydude189 is offline   Reply With Quote