View Single Post
Old
09-24-2004, 11:27 AM
Slewfoot

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
In the past 10 days or so, I have truly come to believe that it WILL last the 12-18 months. In 12 months, Bettman will declare an impasse and try to impose his own rules. At that point, he will face lawsuits from 2 countries and labor lawyers will become involved. That will take another 6 months. At the 18 month mark, it will be settled. But, with no NHL for 2 years, NHL hockey is dead in the U.S.A. And, to tell the truth, after 2 whole years of no hockey, someone like myself could probably care less at that point wether or not they have settled any issues and who won. They want to withhold hockey for 2 years and think that all is rosy? Good luck making new fans.
As an aside, Bettman is choosing to gloss over the fact that 75% of the purported $224m loss last year is caused by 6 teams. Of the 6, 3 are NY, Chicago, and St. Louis. Hardly teams that are crying poverty and not making payrolls. Is it really necessary to try to force a $31m cap becuase of 6 teams?
And speaking of necessary, every team contributed $10m to the league's warchest, right? So of that $300m, how much of that will go to the Rangers, Chicago, or St. Louis? I'm betting nothing. That $300m will be used to keep the Carolinas and Pittsburghs of the world propped up.
I was wondering of the supposed 20 teams that lost money the last couple of years , how many of those had payrolls under $31m ?