View Single Post
Old
09-24-2004, 11:57 AM
Chili

vCash: 500
The problem I see with some agents is their goal in negotiating contracts which always seems to be maximize $ value which may or may not be what is best for their client. If you look at Marc Andre Fleury's contract it is very similiar to Rick DiPietro's deal from a few years back. DiPietro spent very little time in the NHL his first three years because of the ridiculous bonus clauses for meeting marginal targets (i.e. games played). I remember that Dipietro even offered to forego some of the bonuses if it would get him to the NHL but teams can't do that. I doubt Fleury will spend much time in the NHL until his next contract because of the deal his agent negotiated.

The holdout strategy often leads to problems. The players miss camp and often have poor years when they return (Marian Gaborik and Evgeny Nabokov are recent examples). Many holdouts end up being dealt as well and I wonder if in some cases these players would have accepted less to stay with the same team? I do respect an agent like Don Meehan though, who does consider what is in the player's best interest.