View Single Post
Old
05-05-2009, 02:48 PM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchShamrock View Post
What are the qualifications of a group VI UFA? Basically, I'd like to keep Paranteau and give him a shot on the big club. His style and game would fit in Tortorella's system.
Quote:
Group 6 Free Agents.

(i) Means any Player who is age 25 or older who has completed three (3) or more professional seasons, whose SPC has expired and: (i) in the case of a Player other than a goaltender, has played less than 80 NHL Games...

(ii) Any Group 6 Player shall, at the expiration of his SPC, become an Unrestricted Free Agent and shall be completely free to negotiate and sign an SPC with any Club, and any Club shall be completely free to negotiate and sign an SPC with such Player, without penalty or restriction, or being subject to any Right of First Refusal, Draft Choice Compensation or any other compensation or equalization obligation of any kind.
Parenteau is 25, has more than 3 professional seasons in the AHL and has played less than 80 NHL games, so he is a group 6 UFA. He can sign with any team he wants.

Odds are that won't be with the Rangers. Most likely he'll look for a team willing to give him a shot in the NHL and, barring that, will play in Europe.

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote