Thread: Dreger: Flyers interested in Emery
View Single Post
Old
05-05-2009, 11:24 PM
turkinaa

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Bob Clarke is on record as stating that he went for VanBeisbrouck over Curtis Joseph because he cost less, and "spending too much on your goaltender takes away from the rest of your team" -- this before the salary cap.
I remember he saying that and I was like "What????????" I don't get it, it always seemed like we had an open checkbook pre-cap days except when it came to goalies. It was always about spending less on goalies and goalies were always our weak point. We don't even draft many goalies (and when we do they are late picks). While it is important that now we watch our salaries (except we still don't seem to care about non-goalie contracts), we aren't solving the problem. The only way to truely solve this issue is to draft goalies finally so you can work within your own franchise rather than always looking to trade for goalies who may or may not be our goalie for more than 2 seasons.

Thanks to the center ice package I got 90% non-Flyer broadcasting this season and after about half way through the season, the #1 topic that came up was Flyer goalie issues since Hextall. I think the issue is pretty clear to everyone else, why hasn't it been addressed yet?

turkinaa is offline   Reply With Quote