View Single Post
05-06-2009, 05:36 AM
Registered User
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: London
Country: England
Posts: 559
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by mbeam View Post
Does anyone know anything about the level of hockey in the ENL? I'm moving from canada to liverpool in september and Flintshire Freeze seems to be the closest team to me. People told me that I would be able to tryout for them and I'm just wondering if anyone knows what the competition is like.
As mattski said, it's primarily an amateur league where the players pay to play. If you are Canadian without an EU passport I believe you will be ineligible to play ENL hockey though, it is officially a development league and there are restrictions on imports. If you are eligible to play as an import, there are a maximum of two imports per side and only one on the ice at any time. Most "northern" teams have 0 or 1 imports but there are more imports in the south, especially around London. You would need an ITC card to play in Britain which costs about 700 EVERY season to play ENL level, it is an IIHF charge and a rip-off that seriously dents finances at this level.

You are far more likely to be suited to one of the better rec teams, they don't have import restrictions or ITC charges, and there are quite a few. As well as Deeside (Flintshire's rink) there is Manchester not too far away from Liverpool as well as Blackburn.

hluraven is offline   Reply With Quote