View Single Post
Old
05-06-2009, 03:21 PM
CapsWolverinesUSA

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex28 View Post
It actually can even out pretty quickly. Carlson gets a year of development (rushing defensemen often backfires). I think Mo, Fehr, Bourque, etc., should be packaged for Grabovski and Ponikarovsky, that should solve the #2 center issue for a long time and possibly the RW issue as well. Steckel and Laich definitely are a good checking line nucleus, but I think we need someone more consistent and gifted than Bradley for it to be a real threat. I'd be all for bringing up Osala to fill that void, or having Ponikarovsky there if Kozlov is retained. Nylander and Schultz may be attractive commodities for Florida or Atlanta, but we're likely stuck with Nylander. I don't think we really need an enforcer if we have a bunch of bangers and middleweights like Erskine, Beagle, Bradley and a weaponized clark.

My ideal forward lineup for next year:

Ovechkin Backstrom Kozlov
Semin Grabovski Fleischmann
Laich Steckel Ponikarovsky (also a 1st or 2nd line option)
Clark Beagle Bradley

Gordon, Fedorov (moved in in case of injury or for D sometimes)
Not that your trade idea is necessarily a terrible one per se (from a value perspective), but I really dislike plans predicated on trading a collection of potential cast-offs for a couple of targeted players from another team. Has Burke indicated that Gabovski and Ponikarovsky are going to be moved? Do we have any reason to think he'd be interested in our package? How often do you see a group of RFAs traded for another team's RFA and an established roster player?

I also think it's a bit foolish to suggest that Feds will be re-signed as some sort of utility player who doesn't fill a regular role in the starting lineup. You've already committed over $5m just by suggesting that we re-sign Kozlov and pick up the two guys from the Leafs. Begle and Gordo is another $1.5m. So, that leaves something like $3-3.5m to fill the 5-7 defensive ranks. If you intend Alzner to be one of those players, that's $1.3m right there. Re-sign Jurcina, I guess? That would leave us about $1m from the cap without Fedorov, and without a #7 defensemen. Not going to work, IMO.

CapsWolverinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote