View Single Post
Old
05-07-2009, 12:25 AM
Kyle McMahon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleBelfour View Post
First of all, I don't think he was the best defenseman of the 1890's. Mike Grant was better offensively and defensively. I also have another D in mind who I think was better than him (I obviously can't name him). Also, before the ECAHA of 1904-05 and even more before the CAHL of 1899-1900, players were scarce around numerous leagues. Although ''young guns'' like Mike Grant, Alf Smith, Harvey Pulford and Harry Westwick were part of his competition, the best players in those leagues are guys that are not worthy of an ATD selection and that are selected in the MLD and the AAA draft. For example, Desse Brown and Baldy Spittal (yea, who?) were having better offensive production than him. Graham Drinkwater was his only competition in those times.

Also, there is just so few information on him, if we thought we had nothing on Grant ... From what I know, the only info I can find on him are his two paragraphs in Ultimate Hockey. Perhaps someone who own the Trail of the Stanley Cup (70's!) could dig up some more infos.
I agree Grant was superior, that's why I only said Young was one of the best. Pulford and Drinkwater were also better players IMO. But after that, I think you can make a pretty decent case that Young was next in line in the 1890's.

As seventies stated, it's pretty sketchy to just go on stats when the only thing that was recorded was goals and seasons were just 8 games. But history has remembered Young, as he is called a star player in The Trail and he is one of six 1890's defensemen with a bio in Ultimate Hockey (I don't have Ultimate Hockey, but apparently this is the same thing).

We've seen about 150 defensemen picked to this point, and I'm not depending on Young to be a key player, so I figured why not? Young was the star of his team at the very least, so I don't think it's unreasonable to take him over somebody from the expansion era who was #2 or #3 on their team.

Kyle McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote