View Single Post
Old
05-08-2009, 08:25 AM
Hockeyfan68

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddhahat View Post
Here, c'mon, let's take a look in my garage where my wife regularly complains I have too much hockey crap. I have several composite sticks, a few aluminum shafts, there's my bench where I make my particular brand of curve I like . . . but I digress. I've tried all kinds of sticks in games and it always boils down to the guy pulling the trigger.

There's a new guy here ready to start playing some rec hockey. Let's not fill him full of the crap that a expensive piece of equipment is going to make a difference when you are already qualifying your stellar wisdom: "But your shot probalby will improve, and your stickhandling probably will speed up." This is the kind of thinking that prices hockey out of the reach of a lot of people.

I use a wood stick when I play league because it a little heavier and harder to knock off of the puck when I go to the net. So I have to use a little more muscle to stickhandle and shoot, it's not a real hardship. It's the player not the equipment.
While I agree with it is the carpenter and not his tools assessment to some degree I can tell you (I'm 40 years old and switched to composites in December) that I got some of my lost shot back which happens when you get older through no choice of your own.

I can honestly tell you that I got my velocity back by using a composite stick. Now this being said my broither uses wood and aluminums still and he tried my composites one day and was sold on them too.

I think mainly the composite is a better performer in one timers and touch passes and things of that sort rather than actually shooting a slapshot BUT I did get some extra zip back on my shot. Not sure if it was actual increase in power from the stick or a better weight transfer because of the material because I had lost a little bit of from getting old of my great mechanics I have always had or not.

Wrist shots are improved and noticable. Things like making cross ice saucer passes have a great feel as well. Wood sticks have that though ... one cannot argue the feel of a wood stick. The composite 2 piece setups I use have good blades which transfer the same "feel" of the puck as wood. I did buy one blade that isdead as far as feel goes and I also have 3 Montreal graphite blades with wood hosels that also are dead and have ZERO feel. You feel like you have to look to see if the puck is on your blade.

My composite blades I like do NOT do that and the feel is as good as wood. The best thing I appreciate about the composite blades is that until the blade finally breaks it is like new where a wood blade starts to give and lose flex and eventually has a dent the height of the puck in it and then cracks either from that puck dent from use or the blade splits apart on the bottom from moisture.

I will also add that the money I have saved buying a $50 composite blade compared to a $24.99 wood blade is amazing. I would go through 5 woodies for every composite blade so far. I play at least twice a week and more in the winter time and have broken only ONE composite blade. Just ONE and would have easily used up 5 maybe even 6 woodies by now.

I WAS one of those who swore by wood sticks and now has a closet that has 4 unused wood sticks and about 5 aluminum shafts with a few blades of wood sitting collecting dust.

yeah when I used my brother's woody I launched bombs but it did not have as good of a "launch" or fluid flowthrough "sweet spot" I get with the composite.

Yeah Al Iafrate and Al McInnis set slapshot speed records using wood but even an NHL coach Ron Wilson stated that McInnia would have been untouchable today using the composite sticks and his slapper would have been 115 to 120mph according to him.

This is all arguable of course since there really isn't any proof other than what one feels using them but I can atest that they did resurrect my shot and release. I have always been a pretty good hockey player and when i started to lose some zip from getting old I was concerned.

I swear though that absolutely composites helped me regain what I had lost. Not sure where I will be at 50 but for now I am satisfied.

Another thing to keep in mind is that you can use a medium priced composite stick or shaft with a good blade to resemble the heavier weight you require as you stated. The medium priced stuff is heavier than the expensive sticks but still lighter than wood. This depends on the wood stick too, I have used some light woodies too.

Basically though going back to the age thing with me the lighter composite stick definitely has helped me to be quicker with my hands at an older age.

I am never going back to wood ever. Also keep in mind that traditonal golfers also balked at using graphite and aluminum metal or composites for golf clubs ... until they used them.

Now they are the standard and playing with a wood golf club just is never going to happen again.

Last edited by Hockeyfan68: 05-08-2009 at 08:32 AM.
Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote