View Single Post
Old
09-27-2004, 12:06 PM

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexicon Devil
While this proposal sounds like a reasonable deal, it punishes the market value of players for what they can't even control - getting traded. Under this proposal a player's earning potential would drop significantly if he was unfortunate enough to get traded. Not exactly fair, in my opinion, and I don't think the player would agree to it for this reason.
That's the first major dent in my arguement that I've seen, and it is very valid. I've even considered backing off the traded players, and just making a free agent salary cap instead, which backs off my initial proposal considerably. At the same time, the PA probably wouldn't go for it as well.

Part of the problem as I see it, is that many players price themselves out of their markets. So a team like Pittsburgh has to trade Kovalev, Straka, Jagr, etc. because their salaries keep going up. By having traded players count against the cap, a player might negotiate more with the team they are on, to avoid counting against a cap on a traded team.

As an example, Jagr may have attempted to sign a more lucrative contract, at a reduced rate with the Penguins originally knowing that if he was traded to the Capitals that they wouldn't have the money to keep him at that same rate because it would count against the cap.