View Single Post
Old
09-27-2004, 02:57 PM
I in the Eye

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCoyotes
Makes little sense to me to see a team with a $25 million payroll playing against a team with a $75 million payroll, even if the poorer team wins.
IMO, even though a team has a $75 million payroll, this does not mean that the team should spend the $75 million on players... The same strategy that builds an 'elite' level team for a small market is the same strategy that builds an 'elite' level team for a big market... This is what doesn't make much sense to me... Just because you have the money to buy a Ferrari - doesn't mean you should... For wealth accumulation - buy a nice, comfortable luxury car and the difference between the Ferrari and the nice, comfortable car - put it in an investment...

If you earn $80,000 a year - and spend $80,001... you are just as poor as if you earn $8,000,000 a year - and spend $8,000,001...

IMO, NYR advantage should be to pay for world-class scouting, facilities, coaches, etc. that helps build an elite team QUICKER, BETTER, and LONGER... NYR advantage should be no worries to keep the properly developed core together... IMO, the NYR can and should have an advantage over small market teams (IMO, it's not their fault they're richer) - but I think they should pay big $ to their peers for making shortsighted salary decisions that impact every other team in the league...