Thread: Value of: Sens 1st and Fisher to move up
View Single Post
Old
05-10-2009, 10:06 AM
trentmccleary

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by grabo84 View Post
You're typically a sharp guy Trent, but honestly, you're wrong here. Poni didn't get first line minutes, and his play this year was a legit upgrade over previous seasons. It always surprises me how underrated he is, opinions will change on him once he gets dealt, just like happened with Antropov. Anyways, this is a side issue, so we should probably drop it.

So far as Fisher goes, I wouldn't want him for free, but other teams might feel differently. It's a big contract for a guy who has trouble scoring, so the Sens are probably going to keep him - which is probably fine with them. I don't think he'd move them up in the draft, so its all a moot point.
My bad (PUI), I looked up his season and you're right. He only had 2 mins of PP time per game, which makes his season very impressive actually. 61 points with only 13 PP points is difficult to achieve (usually about 8 guys a year can crack 60 without 20 PPP's). I hadn't followed Ponikarovsky's breakout and he didn't appear ppreciably different on the ice to me. However, due to his age... like Horcoff and everybody else, I'll be betting against a repeat of mid-career breakout numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles_Guy View Post
And Trent get off this one year garbage, you are a one line team with Chris Campoli as your offensive defenseman, The Isles are lousy, but its not like Ottawa will be a 90 point team next year. Fisher is part of your big Problem, no secondary scoring, you can afford to have a guy like Fisher if you have a good second line to go with your great first line, but your 2nd and 3rd lines are black holes
In the two years before this one, Ottawa was 1st and 2nd in the NHL in scoring with Schaefer/etc-Fisher-Neil/etc as a 2nd line and without any D-men cracking 40 points. Foligno & Shannon are more talented than Schaefer & Neil. Kuba and Campoli have proven capable of producing 35 points and guys like Lee & Picard are still trying to establish themselves as offensive D-men with their first full NHL seasons.

We'll be a 90 point team next season.
- 07-08 was due to piss poor goaltending. We were 15-2 to start largely because we got .925 goaltending. For the remaining 65 games (28-29-8), we got a craptacular .895 with Gerber choking in clutch situations every chance he got.

- 08-09... Worst offense in the NHL under Hartsburg and amongst the best under Clouston.

Barring another gigantic catastrophe and Murray sitting on his hands until it is too late, Ottawa's going to make the playoffs next year.

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote