View Single Post
Old
09-28-2004, 11:47 AM

vCash: 500
One of the big things the NHLPA would be against is non-guaranteed contracts however. This is likely as big of an issue as a salary cap to the Players Association.

Nice in theory, I fully agree, but it's not as simple as it may sound. The owners might not need a cap if there were non-guaranteed contracts, because you'd see many teams just walking away from high contract players rather than paying them past their prime. Philadelphia would have likely walked away from LeClair at this point, even Dallas was trying to deal Turgeon and/or Guerin within the past year and may have walked away from one of them. I know Brian Savage would have no longer been on the Coyotes if that was an available option, and there are others.

This is bad from the PA perspective because all of those players are making millions as it is now, and they would stand to lose a lot if the teams walked away from those deals.

I think an equally possible solution would be to term all contract one year contracts with an option for the owners every other year.