Thread: Curves
View Single Post
05-12-2009, 02:56 PM
[insert joke here]
vCash: 450
Originally Posted by Hockeyfrk View Post
Okay, I get everything else about stick buying, but when it comes to curves I get a little confused. Reading the stick buyers guide and some sites doesn't really help me so let me ask a few questions:

1. Curve type, what does it actually mean? Like what is the difference between Mid, Heel, Mid-Toe, etc.? Is that where it is the most curved or what?
It's where the curve starts. A toe curve with have most of the curve near the end of the blade- think a fishing hook, but not as bent, obviously. A mid curve will be bent in the middle, like a section of a circle. A heel curve will have a bend near where the blade meets the shaft, and be close to straight the rest of the way. If you don't know, start with a mid curve, they're the most versatile. Different curves are better suited to different types of shooting, stickhandling and such, and there are entire threads devoted to that, so I won't go into that now.

2. What is curve depth? I can't really tell the difference looking at blade charts on hockey monkey, but is curve depth basically how far in it is curved or how much curve there is?
How curved it is is exactly right. The way it's measured is difficult to explain, but the larger the number, the more curve a blade has. Just starting you should use something with less curve so you learn better technique.
3. Is curve size basically self-explanatory?
If you mean, long, short medium, yeah. It's the length of the blade. Longer blades get you more surface area to pick up passes, pucks along the boards, blocking shots, ect. A shorter blade will be lighter, giving you slightly faster hands, and is supposed to give you more control. I really never notice length, don't worry about it.
And how does each effect a shot if it does?
Sorry if my questions are noobish, but thanks in advance
That's the biggest question. Quick guide, the more of a heel curve it is, the bigger your sweet sport for slapshots is. The more of a toe, you'll get better spin and velocity on wristers.

Also, you need to consider how open a curve is. The more open a curve is, the more it raises your shot like a pitching wedge. However, the more open a curve is the harder raising a backhand will be.

And one thing that you didn't mention is toe shape. A round toe will make it easier to do a toe drag as you get a lot more blade around a puck, but a square toe will allow you to be able to pick pucks up along the boards marginally better. You shouldn't have to worry about that at all, but you'll know what it's about.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote