Thread: Value of: Spezza to St. Louis (Revised)
View Single Post
Old
05-13-2009, 02:59 PM
Northern Neighbour

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmwc95 View Post
Here is the deal. The Blues think that Johnson, Berglund, and Oshie are the future of their franchise. It would be hard enough to pry one of them away, much less all 3 of them. You said in your post that St. Louis was an up and coming team. We wouldn't be up and coming anymore if we traded away all of our young kids.

First of all, you aren't prying Johnson away from us at all. He was the best defensive prospect in the draft since Pronger. The Blues feel he will be the next Pronger. He is untouchable.

The Blues (and many other scouts) feel that Berglund will be the next Sundin. If that's the case, Berglund will be as good as Spezza in the next two years for less than half the price. I doubt you would get Oshie from us as well.

Finally, the most you could possibly hope out of us would be (Oshie OR Perron) + a 1st round pick, and even I would probably balk at that. The Blues are a lower revenue team and don't want to be paying a $7MM/yr long term contract if they think a younger, cheaper player could put up similar production.
Thanks for the info.

I don't necessary agree with the scouting reports that you provided, but I can accept your point of view. Berglund I think will be a very good player, but I don't see him developing into a Mats Sundin-type of player. I think he'll be more like an Ollie Jokinen, which is still pretty good.

Obviously the Sens wouldn't agree to a deal of Oshie or Perron + a first-round pick for Spezza. Prospects have potential while Spezza is a proven commodity. I actually think that Spezza would be a great fit in St. Louis. I think he would work very well with either Boyes or Backes.

Northern Neighbour is offline   Reply With Quote