View Single Post
Old
05-13-2009, 09:26 PM
Tony Piscotta
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattihp View Post
He has a shot, of course. It will be interesting to see who takes the third place after Bäckström and Lehtonen.

Kiprusoff won't come in to be Bäckström's backup, so he likely won't come at all...

The third place is up to one of these IMO: Rinne, Rämö, Rask, Niittymäki, Toskala, etc. I think all of our NHL goalies are in the running for the spot, but that the choice will fall on a young one.
Curious as to why you see Backstrom, and not Kiprusoff, as the starter. Also, I'd think Norrena would get some consideration as the number three since he filled that role in the past with Team Finland.

As for the defensemen, I'm surprised that neither Nummelin nor Berg have been mentioned. It seems like Petteri Nummelin was a big part of the success team Finland had both in the Olympics and the world championships. While Berg has always seemed to be a favorite of the Team Finland organizers.

Up front, I'm surprised that some previous posters are quick to dismiss Ville Peltonen. It seems like he was a big part of Team Finland's success in the past as well. And is well-suited for the international game. Similarly, I'd think Esa Pirnes would be considered as well.

Tony Piscotta is offline   Reply With Quote