View Single Post
Old
05-14-2009, 01:19 AM
mattihp

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyVP View Post
Curious as to why you see Backstrom, and not Kiprusoff, as the starter. Also, I'd think Norrena would get some consideration as the number three since he filled that role in the past with Team Finland.
Seeing as Bäckas is the better goalie and the better and more loyal team mate, it would be weird not to see him get the nod over Kiprusoff.

Quote:
As for the defensemen, I'm surprised that neither Nummelin nor Berg have been mentioned. It seems like Petteri Nummelin was a big part of the success team Finland had both in the Olympics and the world championships. While Berg has always seemed to be a favorite of the Team Finland organizers.
Westerlund is gone, so an uninspired Berg is out of consideration. Nummelin is a really good world champs defenseman, but unless one of the more offensively skilled defensemen on there gets hurt, he's definately on the sidelines.

Quote:
Up front, I'm surprised that some previous posters are quick to dismiss Ville Peltonen. It seems like he was a big part of Team Finland's success in the past as well. And is well-suited for the international game. Similarly, I'd think Esa Pirnes would be considered as well.
Well, it should be noted that in the parts were the team can get younger and not lose much quality, it should do so.

Pirnes would be a pretty decent choice, but while I'd rather see a Pihlström, Bergenheim or a Jussi Jokinen above Peltonen, I would also like to see a Nokelainen rather than a Pirnes.

mattihp is offline   Reply With Quote