Thread: Speculation: Havlat/Khabibulin
View Single Post
Old
05-14-2009, 03:48 PM
brevard*

vCash: 500
I don't see major interest in the keeping Khabibulin. There is some musings in the press but reality is he was fragile this year and most of the reasoin he played well was he was only asked to play 40 games in the regular season.
Some complain about Huet's numbers but it was Huet who was forced to play hot and cold. Coming off the bench after long stretches playing a few games and then back to the bench.

I don't see a problem going with Huet and a kid (Crawford?) as the backup. That also creates about 5.5 to 5.75 million in cap space.

Rumor is Havlat wants a long term deal. I am guessing that he could have 7 years left. With a properly structured 10 year deal he could make 5 mill a year with a cap hit of 3.8 million. All the security he could want and another 2.2 million in added cap space for the team to finish what it started.

Properly structured, years 1 thru 10 pay 7m, 6m, 6m, 5m, 5m, 3m, 3m, 1m, 1m, 1m.
Total is 38 million = 3.8 million dollar cap hit
1st 7 years total is 35 million = 5 million per year. He then retires after the 7th year. The remaining 3 million dollars and the 3.8 million cap hit both come off the books.

brevard* is offline   Reply With Quote