View Single Post
Old
05-14-2009, 05:11 PM
artilector

vCash: 500
I think GMGM has done a fairly good job, far from perfect, but since there are so many terrible GMs around the league, I think on a relative scale, he's probably good to very good.

Draft-wise, he made quite a few great picks -- Semin, Green, Varlamov, Carlson, which I think at least make up for stuff that was missed.

Team-building, he's done pretty well. My biggest beef with him is that he overpays players.. every contract he gives out, you get the feeling that a great GM would get it done for 20% less.

Having said, he's only made one clear blunder in Nylander. But that's sort of mitigated by the fact that his contract can be bought out just when the team begins to reach true contender status. He can't afford another error like this, though, it would be a disaster.

About this year's deadline, nobody knows how hard it is to ship out of Nylander. If it really couldn't be done, than GMGM's inactivity is just part of the Nylandergate.

It took a very good Pens team to unmask the extent of problems on D. So both GMGM and BB enter a critical season of fixing the Caps' play. So besides the draft, he'll be judged on:

1. Ability to ship out Nylander/Clark/Theodore
2. Guts/vision to ship out Clark/Theodore
3. Ability to upgrade D
4. Sign Backstrom/Semin for cheap(er)
5. Try to solve 2nd line center situation, or at least not screw it up
6. Bring in speed/grit, or at least retain cap space to do so at the deadline

artilector is offline   Reply With Quote