View Single Post
Old
05-15-2009, 02:40 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by twenty2 View Post
Lupul does not have negative value. Briere does only because of his age, not because of his production or cap hit. Both contracts are fair in terms of the production that comes along with them.
So yeah, you're not even in the ballpark.

As for names like Carter, Giroux, JVR, and Sbisa...

Carter:
24 yo sniping center with size, defensive capabilities, and speed who finished 2nd in the league in goals with a $5.00m cap hit for 2 more seasons before RFA status

Luongo:
30 yo top 3 NHL goaltender with a $6.75m cap hit for 1 more season before UFA status

The pieces are pretty similar in value. Carter is going to be a dominant center for a long time, and Luongo is arguably the best goaltender. Carter's salary will obviously increase in 2 years, but the Flyers have already prepared for that financially. On top of that he will still be tradable as an RFA if he doesn't want to re-sign in Vancouver at the end of his contract. Luongo's cap hit will likely jump up even more after one more season that is even IF he wants to re-sign with Philadelphia.

I don't care that the Flyers haven't had a goalie since Hextall...there is far too much risk involved with picking up Luongo. The Flyers don't need that kind of risk for their best offensive player last season let alone other pieces like Giroux, JVR, Sbisa, and/or 1st.

If the Flyers are talking to the Canucks it's about pieces like Briere, Lupul, Carle, and POSSIBLY Gagne with possibly JVR and a 1st in the mix. The Flyers are not talking to the Canucks about Carter or Giroux or Richards.

If that's not enough to get Luongo then we will move on. I'm not interested in Roberto for what Canucks fans say they want.
Yeah, you didn't really convince me Briere does not have negative value. Lupul may have value to some teams but he's not the type of player the Canucks are after. So like I said, both have negative value to the Canucks.

Briere, Lupul, Carle for Luongo? Good luck with that. One thing you were right about, move on.

Drop the Sopel is online now   Reply With Quote