View Single Post
Old
09-30-2004, 04:19 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
Not saying anything of the sort Brook.

My point is, it does satisfy the fans to some exent. It also makes sense in that the fans get a glimpse of the Ranger future. Hell, a lockout might even be good for the Rangers from an on stand point. And because the Rangers made a lot of moves for the future, the fans are anxious to see the players that they got (Liffiton etc.) It makes sense that it also introduces the kids to Ranger fans.
I think you're over estimating the interest most fans have of minor league hockey. And while it will take some of the sting away from having the NHL in action, I doubt it will take the spotlight away from the lockout.

Also, there is a downside for the Ranger organization too. Most of the players for the Wolfpack will never make the NHL on a regular basis. They are not going to be a flashy team or a high scoring one. And their goaltending is not NHL caliber either (what a difference having a healthy, if rusty Blackburn would make!). Over exposing the kids to the fans who are much more used to NHL hockey (how many people here have seen the AHL regularly? much less in person?) might make more than a few question the idea of rebuilding all together.

The people who contribute (or lurk) hockey boards are not your average hockey fan. People here are excited about the process of building a team and watching the players grow into their roles. Most of the rest are only interested in the finished product.