View Single Post
Old
05-18-2009, 05:09 PM
Talentless Practise*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely06 View Post
I'm a Sturm guy so it pains me to say this, but Kobasew actually has far more trade value than Sturm does right now. Sturm has a NMC in his contract, so you'd have to get him to waive that first. And even if he was open to a trade, he's 4 years older than Kobasew, makes a million more per year, and is coming off of major knee surgery. Kobasew just turned 27, has three 20 goal seasons under his belt, and is coming off a year that (for anyone who watched the Bruins on a regular basis will tell you) where he was impactful every night. I'm hope and think that Sturm will bounce back next year to be a 30 goal guy, but he's got a lot working against him in terms of trade value.
Completely beside the point.

Point is, if you are looking to trade Kobasew for a puckmoving defenceman AND save salary in the process, you are looking at a defender making less than 1.5M in order to save any meaningful salary.

Now if any team has a decent/good puckmover making 1.5 or less, he has more value than Kobasew, plain and simple. And surely you aren't looking for a defenceman making 1.5 or less because he isn't that good.

By trading Sturm who makes more (didn't know he had a NMC but whatever) you could take on more salary while still saving cap space. For example, Tom Preissing hasn't been a good fit with the Kings at all and has been injured but has proven to be a capable puckmover in the NHL. Joe Corvo is another option and would be in the Sturm + pick price range.

It might be easier to trade Kobasew for a pick + prospect type return, sign a guy like Seidenberg/Leopold and give Kobasew's icetime for Bitz/Sobotka/Lehtonen

I'd like to have a guy like Kobasew in Anaheim but we don't have a puckmover to give you, apart from prospects.

What's wrong with Hunwick BTW?

Last edited by Talentless Practise*: 05-18-2009 at 05:17 PM.
Talentless Practise* is offline   Reply With Quote