Thread: Value of: David Krejci
View Single Post
Old
05-18-2009, 05:28 PM
Dr Quincy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frolov 6'3 View Post
When you are young and money is involved then any player could sign anywhere. IMO this above is just plain naive and I'm not saying he would or should.
I've never been accused of being naive in my life. I'm under no illusions that there's a decent chance 1 of the 2 are gone before the season. That wasn't my point. Kurrilino seems to think the best strategy would be for LA to "give" and offer sheet to one player, let Boston match and then "give" an offer sheet to the other.

I'm sorry, but that's incredibly unlikely to happen. I'll give you the following reasons:

1) Boston has started negotiating with Krejci already and they are actively trying to sign him before he gets to RFA status. His agent and Chiarelli are former partners. I could see something happening soon (before the draft). But there's always a good chance that doesn't happen and they don't agree.

2) LA is not a contender. Players tend to go to new teams for 1 of 2 reasons: to win (Hossa) or money (everybody else). Since LA is not a contender they are going to have to offer significantly more money than ANY OTHER TEAM (not just Boston) to entice one of those 2 players. Once Krejci signs an offer sheet w/ a team, he can't sign another 1, so LA's offer will have to be the best one he gets (in his mind). Then let's say Boston matches that. Now LA is going to have to outbid every other interested team for Kessel.

3) I don't know exactly how this works (I'm not a CBA guru), but last year the B's had Wideman who was scheduled to be a RFA. Before it got to that point that filed (or he filed w/ their urging) for arbitration. That took him off the market but got him a contract he was happy with. I could be wrong, but his agent was the same as Krejci's and I could see a similar deal happening this year.

Look, players will leave teams. I know that. But I am pretty sure you won't see both Kessel and Krejci sign offer sheets with LA, and I'd be willing to make an AV bet on that.

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote