Old
05-18-2009, 05:41 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
This email looks like it's a pre-emptive strike because he knew Balsillie was circling. Why would he mention Winnipeg when Vegas and Kansas City have been mentioned so many times? He knows that if anyone is going to put a team in Southern Ontario it will be Balsillie and that there would be a very real likelihood of the courts being involved so this document could make it look like Winnipeg is an option. Besides that, how many other emails regarding this sale went between he and Daly that he doesn't want us to know about?
Vegas, like the Southern Ontario option, represents a $300+ million expansion fee. The only time talk of Vegas has come up is with expansion in mind, and figures of $300-400 million have been floated. Furthermore, I think Bruckheimer is part of a group that was planning on building an arena to house the new team. I doubt he'd want to house it in a competing venue in the meantime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Graves View Post
So again I ask, what happened to all the Bettman hates Canada posters? he clearly shows he prefers having a team there, whenever that should happen..
I think it's safe to say that it's not so much about Canada, but more about territorial rights, indemnity fees and expansion fees. If you have to move a team, you have to find a situation that is the most favorable to all the other 29 owners... In a perfect world, the BOG would want a location that isn't reliant on revenue sharing for survival, has an NHL ready arena, and doesn't encroach on another team's territory-- or the money that would come from an expansion fee.