Old
05-18-2009, 07:54 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrr View Post
This is possibly just an uninformed comment, but the more I think about this whole situation of Balsillie trying to bring a team to the Hamilton area, the more I believe that it's not so much anti-Balsillie that comes into play, though that may be a part of it, but rather it's the strong arm of the MLSE working behind the scenes to prevent another team from being established in the area, at least not a team that they don't have some involvement with (whether that's possible at all).

Now with all the info coming out that Winnipeg could be considered if the Coyotes have to be moved, I just don't see how Winnipeg can be seen as being any more attractive a location than the Hamilton area. I'm not putting Winnipeg down, but if the League is considering financial practicality, I just don't see the sense of fighting hard against Hamilton, but saying ok to Winnipeg (if someone comes forward who can make Winnipeg work).

Oh sure, I've read talk about getting expansion fees rather than just having a team bought and relocated, but how does that make any difference whether it's Hamilton or Winnipeg?

And of course there are the arenas, but neither the Copps nor the MTS is the ideal situation. Is one so much worse than the other? At least in the Hamilton case, we can imagine that a new arena would probably be built in the area sometime in the not too distant future. I don't think that's the case in Winnipeg.

So, would the League stab themselves in their feet just for the sake of Balsillie's personality, or is there something more here? I'm feeling sure that the primary force in play against Hamilton is the MLSE.

Now, after writing that, someone is quickly going to post a reply that shows I'm wrong... right?
There's certainly something to it. If I recall correctly the revenue and cost projections put forth by the Chipman group, revenue sharing was included in the equation. There had been concern at what a sustainable avg ticket price would be in Winnipeg; whereas in Hamilton/Kitchener, people are accustomed to Leafs prices and would view something that was $20-30 lower per ticket a relative bargain. That number, by the way, would still be at or above the NHL avg price per ticket. I don't know that Balsillie is counting on revenue sharing. Wasn't there some talk during the Nashville offer he put forth that he wouldn't need/want revenue sharing?