View Single Post
Old
05-19-2009, 12:25 AM
WreckItRask

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talentless Practise View Post
Completely beside the point.

Point is, if you are looking to trade Kobasew for a puckmoving defenceman AND save salary in the process, you are looking at a defender making less than 1.5M in order to save any meaningful salary.

Now if any team has a decent/good puckmover making 1.5 or less, he has more value than Kobasew, plain and simple. And surely you aren't looking for a defenceman making 1.5 or less because he isn't that good.

By trading Sturm who makes more (didn't know he had a NMC but whatever) you could take on more salary while still saving cap space. For example, Tom Preissing hasn't been a good fit with the Kings at all and has been injured but has proven to be a capable puckmover in the NHL. Joe Corvo is another option and would be in the Sturm + pick price range.

It might be easier to trade Kobasew for a pick + prospect type return, sign a guy like Seidenberg/Leopold and give Kobasew's icetime for Bitz/Sobotka/Lehtonen

I'd like to have a guy like Kobasew in Anaheim but we don't have a puckmover to give you, apart from prospects.

What's wrong with Hunwick BTW?
I understood where you were coming from, and you make a good point in terms of their relative salaries, but my point was that Kobasew + pick is just a better package right now than Sturm + pick given all the stuff tied to Sturm (NMC, Salary, major knee surgery), and quite frankly the fact that Kobasew was one of the most consistent Bruins all year in terms of compete level, jam, physicality, etc...plus he popped 20+ again, plus he's 27. I'd prefer not to move him at all because I think his salary is beyond fair for what he brings every night, but I believe that his trade value is higher than most people give him credit for.

IMO, he's one of those guys that got lost behind the headlines of other storylines on a good team (Wheeler, Krejci, Kessel, Ryder's and Bergeron's reimergence, Lucic, etc.), but got it done largely playing 5v5 and 3rd line minutes. Every good team has these guys, San Jose has Clowe, Washington has Laich, Detroit has guys like Cleary and Hudler and Sameullson, Carolina with Cullen....guys that are so much more sought after by NHL GM's than they are by posters here on HFBoards. If you want the perfect comparison, take a guy like Chris Kunitz. Undersized, tough to play against and willing to go to the net, and usually scores in the 20-25 goal range (they both have three 20 goal seasons under their belts though Kobasew is three years younger). Kunitz and a decent prospect got Anaheim a solid puck moving defenseman back, so why would Kobasew and a decent prospect not get the same type of return?

WreckItRask is offline   Reply With Quote