Old
05-19-2009, 12:07 AM
Bill Ladd
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talentless Practise View Post
What's wrong with Hunwick BTW?
What's wrong with him as in, his injury? Or what's wrong with him, as in, "don't you already have a puckmover in Hunwick?"

The answer to the first question is that Hunwick had an emergency splenectomy that kept him out of rd 2. Otherwise, he was tremendous for the B's this year, and has a bright future as an elite-skating, puck mover. But I (and apparently B's mgmnt) want more mobility than just Hunwick and Ference (who's always injured) on the B's blue line.

The B's achilles heel against Carolina was that they couldn't get past their forecheck without the retrieval abilities of Hunwick and Ference (who had a torn groin). Chara, Wideman, Ward and Stuart just don't have great mobility. Look at the teams in the Conf Finals, all of them have several good skaters and outlet passers on the backend.

I'd like to see the B's move Kobasew for that guy. He doesn't have to be a stud. Just another 3/4/5 guy who can move. Like the guys I mentioned in the OP. And with that guy in tow, I think Ward would be the odd man out on the rebuilt defense. Which is a shame, because he's been excellent in the top pair for the B's from day1 right up until game7, but he makes $2.3M and like you said, the B's are unlikely to save much money by dealing Kobasew alone for the puck mover they need.

In short...

OUT: Kobasew and Ward (in a separate deal) for a total of $4.83M
IN: An affordable (under $3M) number 3, 4 or 5 dman who can skate and move the puck.

Bill Ladd is offline   Reply With Quote