Old
05-22-2009, 11:47 AM
Heaton
#hope

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
Going off of this thinking, and to tie into something I think Heater wanted to say but changed his mind...

There are examples of players that were given very nice contracts instead of being let go, but whose value to the team isn't exactly irreplaceable by your definition.

How do you decide that Maltby has more value than Sammy, for example? People are very defensive of the guys who simply have been here longer it seems. Isn't that a bit unfair to someone homegrown, for example, like Hudler? He's just as much a Red Wing but by virtue of having come up on the team about a decade later, you have shed the young guys to prove loyalty? In a sense, it's like a parent saying they're always going to favor the first born just because he got there first. ??? Hasn't Sammy contributed just as much, if not more than some of the guys who seem to be getting preferential treatment by some loyalty factor.

At the end of the day, sarcastro's case about who is in fact dispensable could be made for most of the roster. What's the differentiating factor then?
You put my name in that quote though it was sarcasto who said that.

Anyway, the whole 'loyal to a fault' thing with Holland the entire organization has been preached for a long time now. Obviously some guys think that even though Maltby's physical abilities can be replaced by Abdelkader or whoever it's justification enough to just basically burn the bridge and be done with it. Bury him in the minors, basically go back on everything that this organization is built on which is more family than anything else. The reason players like Hossa want to come here is for winning, but the winning is because of the way the players are treated.

This is a business, it's Holland's job to get the best players to play for this team. But it's not that black and white. Holland and Babcock always glow when talking about the good people in the organization.

I just think it's silly to ignore the obvious impact these guys like Maltby, Draper and Holmstrom obviously have on the team that aren't always backed up by stats. I'm not trying to romanticize the way the Wings are but I just can't understand why team chemistry and the overall team morale is something that is almost irrelevant or something that couldn't really affect the way the team is.

It's a professional group for sure, but simply burning the bridge to 3 extremely loyal and popular guys like that is extremely bad for business.

It all goes back to doing everything possible to keep Hudler. Which is fine. If it were just Samuelsson would anyone really be coming up with these less than classy decisions? At the end of the day if we're asking everyone else to make concessions, why not just simply get Hudler to sign a deal that doesn't jeopardize a bunch of other players?