View Single Post
Old
05-22-2009, 01:32 PM
Haute Couturier

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
For you guys bashing the southern team, I'll let you in on a little secret. Just a few short years ago (actually before the lockout) I used to go to Pittsburgh and Washington to see the Flyers play because I could walk right up to the window and buy lower level seats right at game time. It was pathetic how empty those places used to be for Saturday matinee games. I have no more respect for Pittsburgh and Washington because they have PROVEN to me that they flat out won't support their team unless they have a new superstar face to the franchise. Hell I'm talking about me and a buddy going to the Pens and Flyers in Pittsburg back when they had Mario AND Jarg both and they still weren't selling out. That's just plain aweful. I don't care if any of you post "numbers" saying otherwise, a buddy of mine and I did it every year going to a couple of games a year before my kids got too old and I started spending more time and money on them.
I agree with your post. This is true for the majority of the league really if you think about. Even the golden Canadian markets have struggled with attendance (Edmonton, Vancouver, Ottawa, Quebec, Winnipeg) in the past when their teams were going through lousy phases. Other Traditional markets like Washington, Pittsburgh, Chicago, and Long Island have all proven they will suffer when the product is bad. I am not sure the problem is that Southerners can't support hockey. I think it may just be the fact that they won't support lousy hockey which is true for most hockey markets. Unfortunately most Southern teams are lousy organizations and they start bleeding money because this is a gate driven league.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote