View Single Post
Old
05-22-2009, 10:22 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
The high turnover of coaches in the NHL is proof enough that, once the message goes stale, it's time to try a new motivator.
Every year, teams try new motivators. Do they ever really succeed?

Quote:
You say some of us argue that these coaches get results with inferior players and the credit belongs to the coaches alone.
No, I say that many people here have such hatred for John Stevens that any name, ANY NAME, that pops up as available is seen as a potential Godsend. Then I point out those coaches' records and the haters go scurrying for Old Reliable : "He got results with a mediocre roster!!!". As if there's anyone on this site who could give you chapter and verse on the Minnesota Wild's blueline corps.

A few months back, there were fellas here saying Nolan > Stevens because Nolan almost took the Isles to a playoff berth one year.

"AHL roster," they said, "And he had them competing!"

It's surreal.

Quote:
Conversely, the axe usually falls on the coach's head if a team composed of 'good' players misses the playoffs... rightfully so.
"Rightfully so" is in the eyes of the beholder.

Remember when Otttawa fired Paddock and everyone here said: "We should do that too!"

How'd it work out for Ottawa? I wonder what their record is since they brought in new motivation.

Seriously.

Quote:
I think there are other issues to address before looking to fire the coach.
I agree. Fans oftentimes lambast coaches because they are fearful of confronting realities about their favorite players.

Last edited by JXC: 05-22-2009 at 10:28 PM.
JXC is offline   Reply With Quote