View Single Post
Old
05-24-2009, 10:19 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
I doubt the Pens were going to miss playoffs, not with two of the best three players in hockey on their team.
FWIW, those two guys were on the team for the first half of the year, when they were not playing well. But in support of your side of things, the Pens also went out and got two new wingers the same time they hired Bylsma, which seemed to help tremendously as well.

I agree with your support of Stevens as a good coach, though I do disagree that he is the answer for the Flyers.

John Stevens was a great coach for the Flyers the last two years, when his style of focusing on improving and playing a good game were as important as winning. Now he has these guys good enough to contend, and he has been with a lot of these guys so long I think they are a little too comfortable with him. It is not a knock on him, I think he has a lot to offer as the coach of a rebuilding team, but a new voice could be used on the Flyers. The Flyers need someone with a more results oriented outlook, who can bring some accountability to the locker room. Tortarella is not available, and some people don't like him, but IMO this is a man's game, and a man should be able to hear and respond to his coach telling him "You sucked today, you need to be better tomorrow". I just dig that blunt honesty. I think that works because he is fair about it, he doesn't just trash guys because they lost. After game 7 against the Caps he didn't throw any players under the bus, he just said, my guys gave me what they had and it wasn't enough.

John Stevens might be able to see all of this himself, but I don't know if you can grow/improve your coaching style with out ringing false to guys you have been coaching for so long. I also don't think it would be reasonable to get in a new guy and to have Stevens continue working in an assistant's role (he'd be great developing players). I think things have run their course and John Stevens time with the organization has been mutually beneficial, but it's time for a ball-breaker in Philadelphia.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote