Dany Briere

To Philly:
Kari Lehtonen

-OR-

To Atlanta:
JVR

To Philly:
Kari Lehtonen

Given cap hits (6.5M vs. ~3.5M -- Lehts is RFA again) and team needs (we want a skill forward, you want a goalie), how far off are these, and which one would Philly fans be less happy about?
A wonderfull proposal on paper and you know what, I could see Briere being a great fit with Kovalchuk. But now the real world kicks in. I just dont see Briere accepting a trade to Atlanta for a few reasons, not the least of which is the rumors of uncertinty in the financial situation in Atlanta. From the other side of the story I dont see Atlanta taking on Briere's contract. Just to much money for to long especially for a team trying to also sign Kovalchuk to a long term deal. Briere is still going to make 8 million next season and 7 million per the following 3 years. Those are real dollars that have to be paid, factor in a potential windfall for Kovy and thats alot of cash tied up for 2 guys.

The 2nd idea is very valid and I would not be suprised to see a deal come down along those lines near the draft.

The Pucks is offline   Reply With Quote