View Single Post
Old
05-25-2009, 03:14 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguy View Post
My only doubts about Harding are that in Minnesota he played in a very defensive minded system. I understand why he is so attractive for the Flyers, but I question his ability to be a game-stealer, which is what the Flyers need in net on some days. Biron has shown that he can steal important games (he played out of his mind toward the end of the year this year and just look what he did in last year's playoffs). But has Harding shown that he can steal games in a way that Biron has? IMO I would rather try to re-obtain Biron, hopefully cheaper than what he'll fetch on the open market and then trade some pieces to free up cap room and get defensive help in front of him.
Harding has posted good numbers and been successful at every level of hockey he has played. The guy is a winner. The Minnesota system kool-aid can be misleading, there were plenty of games where he saved his team's bacon (and one or two where he didn't). If you just watch him play. Throw out the stats, sit down and watch him, you can see his abilities. For what it's worth I don't think there is a save that Martin Biron can make that is outside of Harding's capabilities. It's just a matter of whether he would make them if given the chance, and I have a lot of confidence he would.

I disagree regarding Biron's game-stealing ability. Last year's play offs he played well, I would never argue that. But there was way too much hype over it in my opinion. He was stopping a lot of decent-but-not-great scoring chances, and Flyers fans were going crazy because he set the bar at an average height through out the season. It was not like he was piling up amazing save after amazing save (unless they are elevated in our minds from good to amazing on account of them being unexpected). At the beginning of the Pittsburgh series he was, for all the hoopla, having statistically the weakest play-offs of any of the goalies left (though he probably faced more quality chances than some). I wouldn't mind him back at his salary for last year, but 5million is a little rich...

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote