View Single Post
Old
05-26-2009, 07:01 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by grabo84 View Post
In this deal, the team that takes the younger, more developed player wins.
We are not comparing a forward to a forward or defenseman to a defenseman. There is a different time table for the two. Also there is the consideration of how close either of them is to hitting their ceilings (I suspect Kessel has less "upside" of the two). Also, the ease with which either of them could be replaced by their respective teams is an issue. Replacing a guy who could be your best defenseman for the next decade is probably harder than finding someone to fill Kessel's shoes.

In baseball their is a number called VORP (value over replacement player) that they calculate based on some complicated formula. What I am tlaking about is sort of a similar concept. I am saying that even though Kessel for Staal might be fair, the value of each of them over their prospective replacement players might not be close. In essence, the drop off in play between Staal and his replacement would hurt NYR more than the drop off in play between Kessel and his replacement. I don't know that to be true obviously, but I suspect it would.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote