View Single Post
Old
05-26-2009, 02:34 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
For about the past year I've been working out before I drive to my games. I play in intermediate-advance beer leagues so it's not as though I have to be a tri-athlete to log 20-30 minutes of ice time. I warm up on the bike for 7 minutes then lift weights, 1 or 2 sets of whatever I feel like doing. You will hear from everybody that this works and that doesn't but I have found what I do to work for me. I'm 36 and I work for FedEx so my legs and body are in a constant state of recovery. I take supplements almost every day I work, usually a protein/carb 4/1 mix in Powerade (need the vitamin B at my age). When I lift weights and play hockey I will stack that with EAS Betagen (creatine). I have found that I do not fatigue during games, by lifting weights and finding the right supplementation FOR ME that I feel much better during games. I arrive at the rink feeling good, the testosterone is pumping and I'm ready to go as hard as I need to go. You have to take into account I've been lifting weights regularly for the past 9 years so I have a good base of muscle so when I work out pre-game I'm not trying to build mucle, merely trying to wake my body up and get oxygen into my muscles. Before I leave the gym I will stretch out. The bottom lin is you have to find what works for you. Some people will say taking creatine is crazy, some people will say lifiting weights before playing hockey is crazy, other people will swear by it. If you feel better after lifting weights then you should maintain a program. If you start to fatigue during games then you need to adjust, but there are a number of factors that could go into it including hydration, diet, sleep, your job, your age, etc..

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote