Old
05-27-2009, 06:12 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobman View Post
If you want you could try to do some weightlifting *after* your game. You'll be able to gauge your energy levels and ensure that you can lift without overly fatiguing your muscles. It's better than going hard at the gym and then burning out half-way through your hockey game.

On the day before gameday I try to limit myself to biking and bodyweight exercises... or some jogging. On game day I won't do anything more than a light bike ride and stretching b4 hitting the ice, and my focus is more on warming up my muscles than it is on striving for fatigue.

After a game I don't mind expending some of my extra energy on bodyweight exercises, but I wouldn't go benching 200 pounds or anything.

I tried experimenting w/ pregame workouts before. I did a three mile jog (~22 minutes) with 120 pushups, 120 situps, and about 12 pullups (yeah, I have to work on those). Two hours later I hit the ice for some 4 on 4 hockey for an hour. I thought that by training in a non-hockey fashion (relatively low intensity for long durations) I would still be able to bring it come game time. I was only able to skate at about half of my normal intensity and I could only muster up 30-45 second shifts. At high intensity I can usually go anywhere from 45 seconds to 90 seconds, based on how much skating I have to do.
Dude, you jogged 3 miles before a game? That's a little extreme, it wouldn't take a PHD to tell you your legs will fill up with lactic acid and you won't be able to recover-especially for an an-aerobic sport like hockey. Being able to run long distances has almost nothing to do with being in hockey shape, some people will tell you it's counter productive since you're building long, lean muscle which is not what you need for hockey.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote