View Single Post
Old
05-28-2009, 12:42 PM
Hockeyfan68

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gc View Post
I agree completely, unless he's shooting the heavy puck, it's not going to benefit his shooting.

Passing, I think it might help a bit. You still have to shift your weight a bit depending on how strong the pass is, and you might have to even give a leg kick for a stretch pass. However, for a short outlet pass or a pass from the goalline to the top of the circle, your wrists and forearm strength are going to be much more important than mechanics and technique. Getting used to having weight on your stick can only help for passing.

And btw, your slapshot sounds crazy hockeyfan68, that's awesome. Not to sidetrack, but when you take a slapshot, do you hit the puck closer to the heel or the toe of your blade, when going for high shots?
Firstly forgive me as I get winded sometimes ...

I shoot the puck from the same place on the blade every time whether I am shooting high or low. Your top hand on the knob controls where the puck goes as does your "scooch" leg drive and not where you shoot it from on the blade. Shooting a slapper too far up on the toe of the blade will do one of two things you don't want ... flutter the shot so it looks wobbly and knuckleballish or it will break your blade.

Also as a side note your bottom hand is important to where you make the fulcrum on the shaft. generally to get a higher shot in close to the net you would want your bottom hand low on the shaft and for low shots you would move your bottom hand up closer to your top hand.

And the catching too much ice before the puck thing can hurt you if you are using a stick too long for you. Obviously the correct lie for your stick length and height are essential too but that is a whole nuther post and I am a windbag enough already.

I hardly ever ever EVER break blades because my mechanics are sound. I have never had a broken blade problem with wood, composites or otherwise. Think of it as hitting the puick on the sweetspot. I would have a dented in part on the blade the height and width of the puck with wood blades just between the middle part and heel but closer to the middle. Now I just see worn tape as composite blades don't dent in like that but my tape wear is the same every time all the time.

Compare it to when a guy breaks a bat playing baseball trying to hit the ball on his hands or at the end of the bat. The bat will shatter usually or really sting your hands badly if it doesn't and a wimpy flyball or grounder is the result. If you get the puck in your wheelhouse and use good mechanics you will have a great shot using that leverage leg drive and followthrough. The only blade I broke this year so far was on a one timer that I missed and caught too much toe of the blade. Virtually all the blades or sticks I have gotten rid of (wood) were the result of that puck indentation on the blade or the shaft losing its flex from too many slapshots. That was what sucked about wood sticks, they were good for about 40 to 50 slapshots and there were days I did not take many to save $$$ on sticks. I then switched to aluminum shafts which solved the floppy weakened shaft issues but the blades still dented in the height of the puck. Nowadays with composites they last so much longer than wood and stay new and fresh for so long I am in heaven with them.

To shoot high you leverage your leg drive and followthrough to hit high and you do the same for things low like a hard shot right on the ice looking for a tip in. I rarely look at the puck when shooting either.

This is the ONLY video I have of me shooting a slapshot sorry but it does show enough to see it is a good one but it is at night and on a rain ruined rink I hastily repaired just enough area to shoot pucks in my backyard that year (2007). I was also fat in this video sorta at about 270lbs and now am 235

The slapshot is at 11 seconds or so. I wish it wasn't at night but hey whatever.

Hey the short passes you are talking about like you said can be just wrist stuff absolutely but lets say one sends a guy on a breakaway by making a two line crisp pass, it has to have zip and leverage on it. The original poster I think was asking how to get good zip on his shots so they are not weak and wobbly or whatever for clearing attemps. He probably passes okay already for short passes as just about everyone does.

Last edited by Hockeyfan68: 05-28-2009 at 01:16 PM.
Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote