Thread: Soft hands tips
View Single Post
05-30-2009, 09:16 AM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by mcsk View Post
Hey guys. Kind of off topic, but I need your help on this. I started playing hockey only recently (2 seasons), but because I would practice stickhandling a lot at home, I became good at it (but I can't shoot to save my life and my skating sucks). What would stand out in my stickhandling was my quick hands, which were really quick. Recently though, it seems as though I had lost all my stickhandling skills for no apparent reason. On the ice, my stickhandling became slow and bad. Same thing when I practice stickhandling at home with a golf ball. It's extremely frustrating and annoying, as my stickhandling was my only asset. I've tried hard to fix it, but my skills just won't come back. I was wondering whether this had happened to anyone else here, and if anyone had any tips or ideas on fixing my problem. Thanks.
Any thoughts at all about what caused the change? A long offseason, maybe?

In any sport you'll have days, or even long spells of time, when it feels like you've forgotten everything you ever learned. Chances are you've just lost touch with the ball, the puck or whatever you use and you need a little time to get reacquainted. Start slow with your golf ball just getting a feel -- cradling it, moving side to side, then forward and back. It could be that you've just been distracted (working on other facets of your game?) and in coming back to stick handling you're trying to force your hands and the ball to work like they used to instead of trying to regain your touch. Just simplify the exercise until you feel the ball is under your control and then gradually increase your hand speed and the types of maneuvers you try.

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote